Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Center of the Campus Quad

 During my time siting in the quad I noticed several things going on and how they affected me.
 I found that many people were running around, goofing around with friends, or simply reading against a tree.  From that it makes me want to be able to do those things to and become more active and outgoing with the people around me.  People in this space or observing the area would also want to be care free, able to relax, and capable of not worrying about other things going on in their life, like the people in there.  Assumptions made in this area by those in it and passing it, would be that they are simply there to have fun, let loose, or trying to get away from the stress that they may be feeling.

1 comment:

  1. Great observations, Carly. I am curious if there is anything about the space specifically that encourages people to relax and socialize and goof around. So, it must be an open area, right? Also, are there many places to sit? If people are encouraged to sit and stay in one place, there might be less mingling and activity. I am wondering if this space is the area with the fountain on campus, or the space right in front of the student union. The student union space is very open and only has two or three tables, as I recall. So, as I think about your insights and that space, I do think the campus designers strategically left that area open to help people feel outgoing and be active, as you write in your post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete